History

An extraordinary success story began in 1957 under Herbert Alsen. Around 1200 spectators enjoyed the premiere of "The Gypsy Baron"– the ideal work for the "Mörbischer-Puszta" atmosphere – on the lake stage, which was still extremely primitive at the time. Alsen was the artistic director until 1978. After his death, Fred Liewehr assumed the management of the festival. He was followed by Franziska Schurli, who was in charge from 1980 to 1984. The "Teletheater" under Dr. Heinrich Mayer took over the reins from 1984 to 1989. During this time, the main building was erected on the lake surroundings, and the capacity of the spectator stands was extended from 3000 to 3450 seats. In 1990 Prof. Rudolf Buczolich was appointed as artistic director. Prof. Harald Serafin took over the artistic direction of the Seefestspiele Mörbisch in 1992, which attracted an average of 50,000 at the time. Numerous construction projects were initiated: an administration building, a wardrobe and props wing, workshops, a newly designed entrance and stage, additional extensions to the spectator stands to increase the capacity to 6200 seats, and much more. Harald Serafin worked tirelessly to promote the festival, and managed to increase the total number of visitors to the festival on the Neusiedler See to 220,000.

In September 2012, Dagmar Schellenberger took over as artistic director and headed the Seefestspiele Mörbisch until 2017. Since September 2017, Peter Edelmann holds the artistic management.